Tennis is a sport that is very demanding concerning physical abilities and stamina. The sport requires athleticism, concentration, and determination. Women’s Tennis is one such event that is great to watch. From Stefi Graff to Serena Williams, this sport has witnessed several legends. The kind of physicality that these sports demand is unmatched. Be it the lush green lawns or be it the hard red soil, Women’s tennis is as exciting to watch as the men’s events. The athletes have managed to garner the same kind of fan following that the men have or in fact, even more. Here is a look at the top 5 women to have ever taken the field in this sport: –
5) Monica Seles: –
If we are to make a top 5 list, most of the tennis fans will name Monica in this list. Serbia has a list of producing the best tennis players and Monica is just another example. Monica was born on 2nd December 1973. The 47-year-old currently resides in the United States of America and she turned professional in the year 1989. Monica has won a total of 9 grand slams throughout her career. The Serbian was majorly known for the agility and flexibility she had while on the court. Her stamina was second to none and she could play hours on the turf barring the hot summer heat.
The list of her singles titles are as follows: –
- Australian Open, Winner 4 Times (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996)
- French Open, Winner Thrice (1990, 1991, 1992)
- Wimbledon, Finalist Once (1992)
- US Open, Winner Twice (1991, 1992)
- List of her double’s titles are as follows: –
- Australian Open, Semi-Finals (1991, 2001)
- French Open, 3rd Round (1990)
- Wimbledon, Quarter Finals (1999)
- US Open, Quarter Finals (1999)
4) Martina Hingis: –
Martina Hingis becomes an automatic choice in the 4th Position. The 41-year-old was born on 30th September 1980 in the Czech Republic. She is a Swiss national and has represented her nation in several tournaments. She turned professional in the year 1994. Martina has a career record of 548-135. And has won 43 titles along the way. Hingis first debuted on the international scene in 1994 and caught everyone’s eyes because of her aggressive style of play. She too had supreme stamina and never intended to leave the court after a great game. She too dominated most of the turfs.
Grand Slam Singles results: –
- Australian Open, Winner Thrice (1997, 1998, 1999)
- French Open, Finals Twice (1997, 1999)
- Wimbledon, Winner Once (1997)
- US Open, Winner Once (1997)
Grand Slam Doubles results: –
- Australian Open, Winner 5 Times (1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2016)
- French Open, Winner Twice (1998, 2000)
- Wimbledon, Winner Thrice (1996, 1998, 2015)
- US Open, Winner Thrice (1998, 2015, 2017)
3) Martina Navratilova: –
A top 5 list without the mention of Martina Navratilova will do sheer injustice to the legend. The American professional tennis player was born on 18th October 1956 in Prague. Martina dominated the tennis circuit throughout her time on the court. She has an immense record of 1442-219 games. This takes her to win a percentage near to 86% which is one of the most shocking numbers. She has an all-time high of 167 career titles to her name which includes 18 Grand Slams! She was ranked world number 1 on 10th July 1978. Martina made sure that her name became something to cherish for all the tennis fans. She was too known for her athleticism.
Her concentration on the turf was something to be proud of! She is said to be the flag bearer of feminism in history. She was determined to win every game she played and stepped on the pitch with that intensity.
Grand Slam Singles results: –
- Australian Open, Winner 3 Times (1981, 1983, 1985)
- French Open, Winner 2 Times (1982, 1984)
- Wimbledon, Winner 9 Times (1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1990)
- US Open, Winner 4 Times (1983, 1984, 1986, 1987)
2) Steffi Graf: –
This German was unquestionably on the list. Steffi Graf was the first German woman to win Olympic gold in tennis! Without a doubt, she was the best in her era. She was the prior-to-modern era maestro. Her discipline off-the-court was something that she was proud of. Born on 14th June 1969, Steffi was bound for greatness. She was born in the Mannheim region of then West Germany. Stef turned professional in the year 1982. She has a career record of 900-115 that makes her win percent a whopping 88%.
Steffi Graf major achievements: –
- Australian Open, Winner 4 times (1988, 1989, 1990, 1994)
- French Open, Winner 6 times (1987, 1988, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999)
- Wimbledon, Winner 7 times (1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996)
- US Open, Winner 5 times (1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1996)
1) Serena Williams: –
A list without the face of Women’s Tennis will be an insult to the article. Serena Williams, the American professional basketball player is the greatest female tennis player ever. She has won a record 23 Grand Slam titles. Her total career titles add up to a heart-stopping 73. She was born in an African American family. Her sister Venus Williams is one of the best female tennis players. Serena was born on 26 September 1981 and turned professional in the year 1995. She has a career record of 855-152. This is the best in the modern era of tennis.
Serena Williams’ major achievements: –
- Australian Open, Winner 7 times (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017)
- French Open, Winner 3 times (2002, 2013, 2015)
- Wimbledon, Winner 7 times (2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016)
- US Open, Winner 6 times (1999, 2002, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014).