PBKS vs CSK: Both of these franchises have been part of the prestigious league since its inaugural season. PBKS have played for over 15 editions; however, CSK were suspended in 2016-17 and have been an invincible team as they have played 11 playoffs out of the 13 editions they have appeared in.
PBKS vs CSK: Head to Head
The Punjab Kings and the Chennai Super Kings have been part of the immensely widespread T20 platform, as they were the first-ever playoff qualifiers in the inaugural season of 2008, where the Kings topped the league stage but the Super Kings made it to the finals.
Both teams have faced each other 27 times in the IPL, out of which CSK won 15 times and Punjab emerged victorious 12 times.
|2008||The Chennai Super Kings won by 33 runs.|
The Chennai Super Kings won by 18 runs.
Chennai Super Kings won by nine wickets.
|2009||The Chennai Super Kings won by 12 runs.|
The Chennai Super Kings won by 24 runs.
|2010||Match Tied (Kings XI Punjab) won in the super over)|
Chennai Super Kings won by six wickets.
|2011||Kings XI Punjab won by six wickets.|
|2012||Kings XI Punjab won by 7 runs.|
Kings XI Punjab won by six wickets.
|2013||Chennai Super Kings won by 10 wickets.|
The Chennai Super Kings won by 15 runs.
|2014||Kings XI Punjab won by six wickets.|
Kings XI Punjab won by 44 runs.
Kings XI Punjab won by 24 runs.
|2015||The Chennai Super Kings won by 97 runs.|
Chennai Super Kings won by seven wickets.
|2018||Kings XI Punjab won by 4 runs.|
Chennai Super Kings won by 5 wickets,
|2019||The Chennai Super Kings won by 22 runs.|
Kings XI Punjab won by six wickets.
|2020||The Chennai Super Kings won by 10 wickets.|
The Chennai Super Kings won by nine wickets.
|2021||Chennai Super Kings won by six wickets.|
Punjab Kings won by six wickets.
|2022||The Punjab Kings won by 54 runs.|
The Punjab Kings won by 11 runs.
PBKS vs CSK: Top 3 memorable
1. The first-ever playoff match was played between these two franchises on April 31st, 2008. Punjab won the toss and chose to bat, as their most formidable batters, Shaun Marsh and valiant hard-hitting all-rounder James Hopes, opened the innings for the Punjab team.
However, Ntini, a CSK bowling sensation, gave a match-winning performance as he claimed the early wickets of the openers. The outstanding Kings middle order comprising Sangakara, Yuvraj, and Jayawardene was demolished by their bowlers Gony, Morkel, and the legend Muralitharan.
In return, CSK, playing their second playoff match, took complete control of the game as they chased down the timid total of 113 with Parthiv’s steady 50s and Raina’s fast-scoring 50s.
2. The Punjab Kings, back on March 21, 2010, faced the Super Kings in a battling contest, where the Punjab men batted first, and with Irfan Pathan’s steady 39 and Yuvraj’s fighting 43 off 28 balls, they put on 136 runs at the loss of 8 wickets.
In return, Hayden stepped in well with a quick 33, however, Patel took them over the line with 57 off 58 balls as he batted till the end of the innings. First picking up two wickets in the game and later with a stellar super over, Theron won the match for the Kings XI Punjab and was chosen the MOM.
3. In 2018, the Punjab Kings batting first put on a big total of 197, with Rahul’s 37 and Gayle’s stunning innings of 63 off 33 balls.
Mayank, Karun Nair, and Yuvi Paji too played useful cameos towards the end. In return, Rayudu posted a decent 49, and Dhoni’s outstanding 79 off 44 balls couldn’t help them win the match, as PBKS won the match by 4 runs.
PBKS vs CSK: Interesting facts
- Punjab players have the record for most hat-tricks, as Yuvraj Singh picked up two back in 2009, Axar Patel in 2016, and Sam Curran later in 2019.
- The then-Punjab Kings skipper scored the fastest-ever IPL 50 off just 12 legal deliveries.
- CSK defended the lowest total of 116.
- The first team to successfully defend their IPL title, in 2011, was from 2010.
- Most appearances in an IPL final nine times (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018, 2019, and 2021).